[Solved]-{% trans "string" %} not working on templates but {% trans variable %} does

21👍

Have you manually translated the string in the .po ?

makemessages just adds “carro” to the .po, generating something like this in the .po file

#: idioma.html:45
msgid "carro"
msgstr ""

and then you have to edit the .po manually adding the translation for that string, in this way:

#: idioma.html:45
msgid "carro"
msgstr "car"

Then, when you are done translating all the .po strings, you can run compilemessages: it will compile your translations.

Note: always remember to look for ,fuzzy translations.
If you have something like this in your .po

#: idioma.html:45
#, fuzzy
msgid "carro"
msgstr "car"

That means that django, for some reason, tried to translate the string by itself (it usually happens when you already used that string in a piece of code that you aren’t using anymore).

You have to review the translation and delete the #, fuzzy line: any translation tagged with #, fuzzy won’t be translated in your pages.

14👍

I ran into a similar problem and was able to resolve it by setting LOCALE_PATHS in my settings file. LOCALE_PATHS is a tuple of directory paths where django looks for .mo and .po files. Here’s an example:

# settings.py
LOCALE_PATHS = (
    '/path/to/your/project/locale',
)

Read django’s official documentation on LOCALE_PATHS for more information.

2👍

I tracked the code whole night and found some clues. Mainly in trans_real.py and gettext.py. You can put a breakpoint in “translation” function.

  1. The translation code are executed only once when app starts. So you
    need to reload the uwsgi to load the new version.
  2. Po file is never used. gettext.py use “mo” file only.(in my laptop).
    So you have to compile messages after changing.
  3. The “-” in the language code will be converted to “_” in locale
    path. For example “zh-CN” will be converted to “zh_CN”. That’s why
    the translation file cannot be found. I think it will be better if
    just using two characters as the language code. And the case
    sensitive should be considered in Linux system.
👤mark

1👍

In some cases {% trans "your string " %} doesn’t work.

I recommend you to use blocktrans instead of trans for strings.

How to use blocktrans:

{% blocktrans %} your string {% endblocktrans %}

0👍

I had kind of the same issue. I explained it with details in this link under another similar question.

Briefly, my problem has been solved by reloading the server with this code:

sudo /etc/init.d/uwsgi reload

Now, everytime I change the phrases and after compiling language files, I reload the server too to see the changes.
I hope this solves some one’s problem.

👤Raham

Leave a comment